Allumia is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with strong web development experience to help build out our platform for managing energy efficiency projects.
Allumia is a rapidly growing Efficiency-as-a-Service company. We fund, design, manage and maintain complete efficiency upgrades for our small to mid-size commercial and industrial customers. While we focus on return-on-investment, we are proud to run a business that addresses our world’s energy consumption and strives to have a positive impact on the environment. Allumia is reaching an ever-expanding range of customers through partnerships with utility companies and has experienced significant growth in 2020 with plans to double in size in 2021.
This is where you come in. We’re seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our small, growing product team and help us build out our customer-facing web platform and metering infrastructure to handle the vast volume of work our utility partners are sending our way.
We’re a mission focused company and have built a successful business model around saving energy. If you’re interested in reducing the output of carbon into the atmosphere, working here is a great way to maximize your impact.
You’ll be working with the product manager and other developers on the tech team, as well as alongside some very sharp minds in a variety of fields, from finance to electrical engineering. Expect to collaborate with stakeholders and experts on product design decisions.
We follow a roughly agile process with daily standups and ad-hoc pairing and collaboration on various features. We’re fully remote at the moment, though proximity to Seattle could be nice once the pandemic is over.
The main focus of the job will be working on our web app, which is built with React/Typescript, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL. It’s a relatively new and clean codebase.
Additionally, you’ll be helping support our smart metering infrastructure. The meters themselves use C++ and Python, with Node endpoints used to collect the data.
- You value collaboration. You should enjoy mentoring and supporting the other members of our development team.
- You are self-directed and capable of working independently. We have frequent product meetings to discuss design and strategy that you will participate in, but most development work is done independently.
- You're familiar with best-practices, but are not doctrinaire.
- We’re a small team, and developers are involved in all aspects of the product. You should be able to make judgement calls, read between the lines, and know when to improvise and when to discuss.
- We’re all pleasant, smart, communicative people, and you should be too!
- You have experience with web application development and in general a solid understanding of how the internet works. You should have a solid understanding of some web frameworks and the problems they help solve. Experience with our specific stack is a big plus, but as long as you’re willing to learn them you’ll be fine.
- Your cleanly-designed, well-documented APIs and pages earn you the admiration not only of frontend and mobile developers but of caching layers and CDNs.
- You possess skills designing SQL schemas, constructing indices, and performing query diagnosis and optimization. You reflexively translate business problems into entities and tables and constraints. You know when to normalize and how to ensure DB integrity when you can’t.
- You’re familiar with modular design, dependency injection, functional isolation, and have strategies for testing all layers of the stack.
- You have experience with task queues and various concurrency strategies when handling things in serial isn’t always going to fly.
- You can manage complexity in a large frontend codebase and have strong experience with rich client-side apps, having done one or more substantial projects with React or another framework. We use React, so experience with its specific idiosyncrasies and best-practices is a major plus.
- You should have a good sense of how to manage complexity as projects grow, and have experience doing large refactors on a rapidly growing project.
- Knowledge of (or interest in!) devops stuff is a plus. We use AWS, Heroku, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
- Experience with data warehousing, analysis, Redshift Athena, etc. is a big plus.
To apply, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject "Senior Software Engineer"